Home > Terms > English (EN) > Peter Hodes - stem cells courier

Peter Hodes - stem cells courier

Peter Hodes is a British citizen who has been interested in charity and donor issues. He first donated a kidney to one of his friends, became a blood donor and then subsequently a platelet donor. Since 2012 he has become volunteer and courier of stem cells for Anthony Nolan charity. He's done 89 trips so far all around the world. He has only 42 hours travel time for each trip; minus the operation time, since stem cells die if they are outside of the body for more than 72 hours. Stem cell can be extracted in two different ways - 90% of the time they are extracted in process similar to giving blood, the other 10% are done through bone marrow harvest.

Collect to Blossary

Member comments

You have to log in to post to discussions.

Terms in the News

Billy Morgan

Sports; Snowboarding

British snowboarder Billy Morgan has landed the sport’s first ever 1800 quadruple cork. The rider, who represented Great Britain at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, was in Livigno, Italy, when he achieved the manoeuvre. It involves flipping four times, while the body also spins five complete rotations on a sideways or downward-facing axis. The trick had ...

Marzieh Afkham

Broadcasting & receiving; News

Marzieh Afkham, who is the country’s first foreign ministry spokeswoman, will head a mission in east Asia, the state news agency reported. It is not clear to which country she will be posted as her appointment has yet to be announced officially. Afkham will only be the second female ambassador Iran has had. Under the last shah’s rule, Mehrangiz Dolatshahi, a ...

Weekly Packet

Language; Online services; Slang; Internet

Weekly Packet or "Paquete Semanal" as it is known in Cuba is a term used by Cubans to describe the information that is gathered from the internet outside of Cuba and saved onto hard drives to be transported into Cuba itself. Weekly Packets are then sold to Cuban's without internet access, allowing them to obtain information just days - and sometimes hours - after it ...

Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)

Banking; Investment banking

The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is an international financial institution established to address the need in Asia for infrastructure development. According to the Asian Development Bank, Asia needs $800 billion each year for roads, ports, power plants or other infrastructure projects before 2020. Originally proposed by China in 2013, a signing ...


Online services; Internet

Spartan is the codename given to the new Microsoft Windows 10 browser that will replace Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer. The new browser will be built from the ground up and disregard any code from the IE platform. It has a new rendering engine that is built to be compatible with how the web is written today. The name Spartan is named after the ...

Featured Terms

  • 1635


  • 95


  • 13


Industry/Domain: Beverages Category: Wine

Beringer Vineyards

Beringer Vineyards is a large winery in St. Helena, California. It was the first California winery to offer public tours after Prohibition's ...


Contributors in Non-profit organizations

Featured blossaries

The Greeks

Category: History   1 20 Terms


Category: Science   1 20 Terms

Browers Terms By Category